Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Baked Oatmeal

I'm posting this recipe to celebrate! I was sick for a week with a bad sinus infection. For 5 days I could taste and smell NOTHING! It totally took the fun out of eating. On Sunday morning, my husband made baked oatmeal, as has become the tradition at our house. When it was about halfway done, I noticed something wonderful! I could smell it baking! And when it was done, I could taste it too!! It was the best smell and taste in the whole world at that point! I thought you might enjoy it too! I got this recipe from my mother-in-law shortly after we were married.

  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c. oil
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. cooking molasses (do not use blackstrap)
  • 3 c. quick oats
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 c. milk

Whisk together eggs, oil, honey and molasses. Add dry ingredients; mix, then add milk. Pour into well-greased square (or round) pan. Bake 30 min. at 350. Check center with knife for doneness. If still gooey, bake a few minutes longer.

We eat this with a little milk poured over the top of each serving and a small dollop of jam or applesauce. I like mine with just milk! Like I said, this has become a weekend tradition, with Daddy being the main baker. I love having a morning off!

1 comments:

Stacy said...

I don't know if this is the same recipe for baked oatmeal or not, but I go on a scrapbooking retreat 2 times a year at a bed and breakfast and she makes a baked oatmeal for one of the breakfasts, and then a caramel sauce to pour over the top! YUMMMYYY!!!