5 years ago
Sunday, August 15, 2010
3kg/7lb rock salt (course salt)
8 heaped tablespoons of whole fennel seeds cracked.
2 Eggs, beaten
2 lemons, halved
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 x 2kg/4,5lb organic chicken
1 bunch of parsley, ripped
8 Cloves of garlic, skins left on, squashed
1. Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F/ gas 6.
4. Scrunch it up and rub this flavoured oils all over your chicken, finally pushing the excess inside the cavity along with your parsley, garlic and squeezed lemon halves. The idea here is to tightly pack the cavity so that it bulges and no salt can get in!!
6. lay a third of the salt, making it about 2cm/ 3/4inch square.
7. Put the chicken on top, then pack the rest of the salt around. Because the salt is slightly wet it should stick top the chicken - make sure that the chicken's skin hasn't been pierced.
8. Carefully fold up the sides of the tin foil and scrunch it at the top. You can rip off any excess tinfoil. - basically the foil is that to hold the salt together until it hardens.
9. Place the chicken in the preheated oven and cook for 2 hours, then remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
10. Open the tinfoil and crack open the salt casing with the back of a spoon.
Have 2 nice salads and some interesting fresh bread.
P.S. Post a comment if you try this to let us know how it went!!