Thursday, June 26, 2008

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

This is our favourite pancake recipe. Our family usually does not eat pancakes for breakfast - we eat them for supper! It's the kids' favourite meal because they ask for it all the time. When I add bacon, it's my husband's favourite meal. And it's always my favourite meal because it's so easy! I also add fruit when I make this for supper.

Combine in a small bowl and mix with fork.

2 c. buttermilk *
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs

In a larger bowl combine:

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. unbleached, white flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Add wet ingredients to the dry bowl and mix, only until moistened. Fry in hot, lightly greased skillet.

*I have to confess that I've never used real buttermilk to make these pancakes! Here's my secret: For every cup of buttermilk that you need, put 1 T. of lemon juice in a one cup measure, then add regular milk to fill it up. Allow that to sit for about 5 minutes. The lemon juice causes the milk to sour and viola! you have buttermilk!

0 comments: