Saturday, September 13, 2008

Toasted Chickpeas

Well, to be totally honest, I have COMPLETELY forgotten to post on Recipeasy lately! I will blame it on the pregnant brain, ok?

Speaking of being pregnant, I have been told that I am anemic (low iron). Its happened with each of my pregnancies, but its never affected me until this one. I think this is one of the reasons I have been SO exhausted.

Besides my vitamins and extra iron supplements (which upset my tummy) I have been trying to look for ways to add iron to my regular diet. Liver isn't recommended in pregnancy (not that I like it particularly) and we just don't eat a lot of red meat. Not really any to speak of, actually.

By doing some research I found that Chickpeas are a good source of iron. I LOVE hummus. And chickpeas in chili and other things are great. I had a can in my pantry and some dried ones. So, here's what I did:


Toasted Chickpeas

Preheat oven to 350

Toss one can, drained, (or approx 2 cups of presoaked dried) Chickpeas with 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 minced cloves of garlic and the juice of half a lime/lemon.

Spread on a cookie sheet (next time I will cover mine with foil and spray it).

Bake for about 30min, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle salt to taste.


Not only does this make the house smell SO good, they are addictingly great to munch on. My husband and kids loved them too!


1 comments:

Pegsy said...

Mmmm, this sounds really good! I'll definitely give this a try!