Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dan's Chili

I got this recipe from a good friend of mine. It is an easy chili to make & tastes good. We usually make it as is so it isn't too spicy for any one & then spice it up by adding hot sauce, hot peppers or any other "hot" item you might like.

1# ground beef browned & drained
1# sausage (sage works best, but I've used a combo of sweet & hot italian) browned & drained
1 large onion diced
minced garlic (best fresh but jarred will do) the more the better
2 or 3 cans of red kidney beans
2 to 4 cans of crushed tomatoes (italian style works best, but I just added italian seasoning to my plain tomatoes)
2 pkgs chili seasoning

-brown meats separately until fully cooked, drain
-at the same time, start a large container and simmer all but the beans
-cook beans in a separate container until soft or suitable texture
-once meat is cooked add to mixture simmering
-once beans have reached appropriate texture add to mix; do not drain
-Simmer all together for 30 minutes.

Top with cheese, sour cream, hot sauce or any thing else you enjoy.
This makes quite a bit. If I had to guess-ti-mate I'd say it serves 8-10.

0 comments: