Saturday, November 29, 2008

Meatloaf

Let me just preface this with a couple of things. a)I AM NOT a huge meatloaf lover. I think this is because growing up, my mother's was always dry. So when I tasted my aunt's one time & it wasn't dry, I was like I could do this more often.
b)this recipe is an adaptation from Better Homes & Gardens cookbook "Twin meat loaves"

3 cups of soft bread cubes (about 4 slices cut in 1/2" cubes)
[I never measure this part- I just use 4 slices- no heels & call it good]
1/2 c milk
2 eggs
***
1/3 c finely chopped onion
[the recipe calls for 1/4 c + 1/4 c chopped celery. I don't often keep celery in my house so the onion got upped]
1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dry mustard (also called ground)
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (if you don't have this use ground sage)

2 # ground beef [the recipe calls for 1 1/2 # beef & 1/2 # ground pork - I do make it this way some times, but if I don't have the pork or haven't planned ahead, I'll just do beef; bottom line- make sure you have 2# meat]
*****
1/4 c chili sauce or 1/4 c catsup and 2 Tblsp corn syrup

1/2 c bread crumbs
1 c water split in 1/2

Soak bread cubes in milk. Add eggs; beat with rotary beater. Add onion,(celery), Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper & poultry seasoning; mix thoroughly. Add meats; mix well. Form into 2 loaves. Take the 1/2 c bread crumbs & put on wax paper then roll each loaf in that. [Place in 13x9x2" baking pan. I personally just use 2 loaf pans, but have done it the other way.] Pour chili sauce on top, then pour water around loaf(ves)- do not pour directly on as you will wash your chili sauce off. Also if you cook in 13x9 pan do not split water, just pour whole cup in pan.
Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes.

I'm telling you the key to having a flavorful, moist meatloaf is the basting. My friends all told me a bit tedious, but it is good!

Serve with mashed taters! And enjoy!


0 comments: