Friday, December 26, 2008

baked french toast

I hope & pray everyone had an absolutely wonderful Christmas. Once again, I'm stealing recipes. If this is wrong, I hope someone will tell me-I do try to give credit where credit is due. My bff, Dawn posted about what to do with extra bread, because the snow storm the weatherman predicted didn't come & we had all rushed out to get bread & milk. :) I tried this recipe for Christmas morning breakfast & we all loved it. In fact I'm thinking it might become a Christmas morning tradition.

Baked French Toast
(courtesy of Dawn's sister-in-law)

1 lb of bread
8 eggs
3 cups milk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick spray. Rip bread into bite size pieces and put in pan. Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Topping
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup

Melt butter in small sauce pan. Mix the sugar and corn syrup in and simmer until bubbling (stir occasionally). Pour over top of dish French Toast and bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes. **We added 1/4 cup of chopped pecans to the topping, which was yummy. Another suggestion was to take an 8 oz. block of cream cheese & put chunks(about 1" cubes)spread through out the bread & make it more like a cheese pastry.

It was very easy to make I measured out my topping ingredients the night before as well so all I had to do was throw in the pan. It serves about 8.


0 comments: