Saturday, April 11, 2009

Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms

This is a recipe I got from Weight Watchers. I enjoy finding good recipes that are healthy & low fat that my family also enjoys. If you are doing Weight Watchers the points value is 3. It is an easy & relatively quick recipe to make.

*Again I brine my chicken before I cook it, helps it to stay moist. 1# chicken - brine =1 qt. water with 1/2 cup kosher salt dissolved(or 1/4 c. table salt)soak chicken for 20 min. rinse then prepare as recipe states.

Ingredients:

2 tsp. vegetable oil
3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove(s), crushed
1 # uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz. pieces
2 c mushrooms, small, halved
1/3 c canned chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp of oil

In a medium bowl, mix 2 TBSP of vinegar, mustard & garlic. Add chicken & turn to coat.

Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Saute' chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side.(I've found this varies depending on thickness of chicken. I pounded mine down & it probably still took 5 min. I usually cut mine & check for any pink inside)Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.

Heat remaining tsp of oil in skillet. Saute' mushrooms for 1 min. Add broth, thyme and remaining TBSP of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 min. longer.

Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

*additional notes- definitely make sure you use a non stick pan- the balsamic is brutal on your pan(maybe it's a combination of the balsamic & Dijon)
the broth- I have often just made a bouillon cube, then I don't worry about wasting the rest of it. Mushrooms- I prefer fresh, but my husband prefers canned. I used 2 4oz. cans, drained & that seemed to be enough. The garlic- we like garlic, so I will often times use a bit more.

I am finding as my culinary skills develop that cooking you don't have to be so accurate in, but baking accuracy is a must. So if there is a flavor you don't particularly enjoy, I'd say try the recipe as written the 1st time, but then adjust for your tastes. i.e. try cutting back on the balsamic a smidge, or maybe add a bit more dijon etc.

Happy cooking!
Photobucket

0 comments: