Thursday, June 5, 2008

Summer Strawberry Pie

With the hot, summer days upon us, you will LOVE this dessert recipe! This will cool and refresh your palette, and keep your kitchen cool at the same time! My mom used to make this often, when fresh strawberries were in season. (She had to make it often because it didn't last very long!) I remember my brother requesting this pie for his August birthday every year instead of traditional cake!

When I made this pie the other day, the strawberries looked so pretty, that I decided to take pictures of every step!

Start with about a quart of freshly washed strawberries. Remove leaves and slice strawberries until you have 3-4 cups. (It depends on the size of your pie crust.)






Arrange sliced strawberries in a prepared graham cracker crust. (If you're ambitious, you can make your own crust, but I try to keep it simple with this pie.) Don't heap the strawberries too high, or you will have overflow problems later!




In a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar with 2 T. cornstarch. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to medium low heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring often.





Remove the pan from hot burner. Add one small package of strawberry Jell-O and stir until dissolved.







VERY SLOWLY, pour gelatin mixture over sliced strawberries in pie plate. It needs to get into every crack and crevice, as well as coat every strawberry on top. I always find that I have a bit of the mixture left over. Don't try to pour it all in if it starts to overflow!




Place your beautiful, finished pie in the fridge (uncovered) for several hours. Once it's chilled and set, you can cover it for long-term storage. But...I don't think you'll be keeping it for very long! :-) Enjoy!



2 comments:

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

OOOOH this looks so good. I wish my family liked strawberries! (I love them)
I love how you took pictures at every step!

Pegsy said...

O.K., then make one for yourself! :-) I can almost guarantee, though, that if you give your boys a bite, they will ask for more!